A washing machine is an excellent appliance that makes your laundry tasks quite simple. However, just like any other electronic product/appliance, a washing machine can reach the end of its useful life. In this case, getting a new appliance is the way to go, and it is quite exciting. However, what do you do with your old washing machine? While disposing of an old appliance was a headache in the past few years, today, it is a simple task. Most importantly, you can dispose of your appliance in the safest way possible. This piece takes a look at some of the ways in which, you can make way for your new washing machine.
disposal of washing machine for free
Before disposing of an old washing machine, you need to first check whether it can be recycled or not. This is one of the ways to dispose of the appliance. Therefore, prepare the appliance for disposal by;
- Unplugging and switching off the washing machine.
- Disconnecting gas, electricity supplies, water and waste supplies.
Recycling an old washing machine is one of the methods you can go for when disposing of your appliance. The appliance is made of plastic and metal. These can pose environmental risks in landfills. Therefore, dispose of your old washing machine through recycling. You will find that there are many recycling options you can go for depending on what suits your needs best. Some of the available options include;
- A local recycling centre that deals with larger electrical items. This is available in your local council and you need to identify your nearest recycling point.
- Old appliance collection service – Is also offered by different councils. In this case, you need to find out whether your council offers this service or not. However, if you want to get rid of the machine sooner, contact a waste removal company for disposal.
- You can also contact a retail shop that is interested in old washing machines. Harness the power of the internet to reach collection shops that will take away the appliance.
Remember, all electrical items are banned from landfills. Therefore, they should be separately disposed of from other forms of waste. This means that you can only dispose of your old washing machine through;
1. Local council waste services.
2. A registered waste carrier.
3. A licensed private waste operator.
4. A council authorized waste contractor.
You should also note that recycling your washing machine comes with many benefits. It allows you to take part in environmental conservation. It is also easy to recycle a washing machine because;
- You can trade scrap metal from your machine since most washing machines are processed into different metal types. What’s more, the body of the machine can be used as support frames.
- You can exchange your machine for a discount when purchasing a new machine.
- If you are interested in an energy saving machine, you can get a rebate from the government.
- Disposing of your old machine means you are a responsible citizen who complies with local regulations on large electrical items disposal.
- It helps you to save on cash when you trade your old washing machine for an energy efficient model.
- Donate to charities.
- Design stylish furniture since a washing machine can create useful and stylish stools, lamps and even plant or flower containers for your outdoor garden.
- The machine can also be recycled to a generator that will help you to protect the environment in many effective ways. Therefore, a washing machine being a highly versatile appliance, you can recycle it in these and other ways that match your needs.
You can dispose of an old washing machine by donating it to charities. This is imperative, especially if you are simply upgrading to a better model or if your old system still functions. There are many charity shops that accept such donations. Therefore, take time to call them and if interested, they will pick up the appliance as agreed.
Alternatively, you can give away your old appliance for free. In this case, identify if there is a;
- Public drop off electronics depot near.
- A transfer station.
- A regional recycling depot near you.
- You can also consider free sites that allow you to advertise your old machine for free. Local members can access such free sites and arrange for collection.
If you do not want to donate or recycle your old washing machine, why not sell it? There are websites that allow you to sell your appliances. Look for websites that allow you to access a delivery point with ease; where you and a potential buyer can arrange for a pickup.
When putting up the appliance for sale, ensure that you list the model, include a picture of the machine, price and all details that clients may be interested in. Describe the condition of the appliance accurately to attract the right buyers.
When selling your old machine, you should consider retailers that are under EU WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive). They help appliance owners to recycle different white and electrical goods by paying for the items at recycling facilities at a council site. Therefore, take time to identify retailers that will make your disposal easy and professional.
Contact a washing machine recycling service
Today, there are many electronics and junk removal companies in the UK. They can collect your old washing machine as part of a home clearance or simply recycling as a single item. Therefore, identify a recycling service that can collect your old appliance at your preferred location.
It is, however, imperative to note that a recycling service is not the same as a skip hire. It is an alternative where skip hire is not available. It is convenient and cost-effective to dispose of your old appliance.
Recycling services usually recycle old electronics and dispose of unwanted items in the most professional way. They work hard to ensure landfills are free of harmful products and chemicals emitted from old electronics. This gives you some peace of mind knowing that you have disposed of your appliance in regards to set regulations.
When looking for a junk removal company, always consider companies that enjoy a good reputation. A good company should recycle without posing any risk to you or to the environment.
The other easiest way to dispose of an old washing machine is through a retailer collection. Ask your retailer if they provide collection and recycling service when they deliver your new washing machine. Often, you will be expected to pay a small fee for the service.
There are also retailers that allow clients to drop off old appliances when you buy a like for a like product. This is a take-back program and if a retailer offers the service, it will be an easy way for you to dispose of your old washing machine.
An old washing machine can also be disposed of through skip hire services. While not all items can go into a skip, there are skip hire companies that have been licensed to dispose of electrical items in accordance with the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations. They collect fridge freezers, computers and old washings among other electrical items.
Therefore, it is vital that you look for skip hire services that will dispose of your appliance. Make calls to different companies and hire the best that will come and pick your old appliance. You will realize that there are skip hire companies that recycle electronics. This is, therefore, an excellent way to way to dispose of your washing machine in an eco-friendly way.
Creative ways to reuse an old washing machine
There are also creative ways of disposing of your old washing machine. They include;
- Creating a fire pit
Use the metal drum in the machine to create a camping fire pit. It can be placed on firestones or firebricks for easy lifting. The fire always lights quickly and bright enough to create the desired ambience and to add warmth to your camping site.
- Create an ottoman
With the drum of an old machine, create a study ottoman for your patio or living room. You can get more creative by padding the drum for a more luxurious and industrial look.
Scrap metal recycling companies
A washing machine is a large appliance that can produce a good amount of valuable metal to scrap metal recycling companies. Therefore, if you are sure that your old washing machine cannot operate again, you can sell it to such companies. They usually disassemble the machine and use broken pieces to make different items.
Recycling plants also value copper elements in the power cords of a washing machine. Therefore, if your washing machine is still new but not functional, you can get a good value by disposing of it with the plant.
Free collection of white goods
Therefore, when planning to dispose of your old machine, it is wise that you carefully evaluate your options. You can make money from scrap metal recycling, or you can simply dispose of the appliance for free as a giveaway based on what is ideal for you. Whatever the option you choose, ensure that you do it in a way that contributes to environmental conservation.
If your appliance can still be repaired, contact the best repair experts near you. Sales Appliances offers a wide range of appliance repair services in a fast and efficient way.